This is what we are Doing to Keep you Safe During COVID-19 Pandemic
At Sweat22 we are following all health guidelines and regulations from WorkSafeBC:
- Sweat22 studio will be sanitized using disinfectants after each session. We will be disinfecting the equipment including the vests, straps and the machines, the receptionist desk, the washrooms/change rooms and the door handle. Other touch surfaces will be wiped down following each session. We will have nightly deep cleaning as well.
- The training sessions are for the mean time extended from 30 minutes to 60 minutes, to both provide time for cleaning and avoid overlaps. Please arrive 5 to 10 minutes before your session time.
- It is recommended that you arrive already wearing the EMS underwear kit. At this point we are not offering underwear kit rental and if you do happen to forget your kit, you will have to purchase a new kit.
- If you are coming from home, please make sure to use the bathroom before heading to the studio. Of course the washroom is available if and when you need to use it.
- Trial sessions for the time being are complimentary; You are required to purchase the underwear starter kit for 65$ to use during the trial session and onwards.
- The trainers will be wearing masks for the time being and if you prefer to wear protective gears like mask or gloves you may as well do.
- We kindly ask that you sanitize or wash your hands before and after your sessions.
- We will provide hand sanitizer at entrance but remember that hand washing is the best prevention.
- Based on WorkSafe BC’s guidelines, there will be no physical contact unless necessary.
- Staffs who have symptoms of the illness (a fever, cold, cough or difficulty breathing) will not come to the studio. The trainers will follow the same protocol as trainees and will not work if they or any of their family members are unwell.
We also need your help in keeping our community Safe:
- If you are feeling unfit and have any of the symptoms, we kindly request that you inform us as soon as possible and prior to coming to the studio. Also kindly wait to book a session until you are well recovered.
Please check your health before coming to the studio each time:
- If you are feeling sick in any way, shape or form (fever, cough, sore throat, sneezing, runny nose, headache, body aches, or general malaise) you must stay at home. Please err on the side of caution.
- If anyone in your home is exhibiting these symptoms or sick, please stay home.
- If you or anyone in your family/household has travelled outside of Canada, please do not return to the studio for at least 14 days after your date of return.
- When in doubt, please stay home.
- All staff and trainers will be following the above protocol as well.
- Please bring as few personal items (bags, accessories) with you as possible.
WHAT IS EMS TRAINING?
EMS stands for Electric Muscle Stimulation. Technically, EMS is a full body workout with body current. Our muscles contract through electric impulses in normal state. EMS Training makes use of this effect, the natural effect is additionally intensified and an effective training can be achieved. EMS Training is also known in competitive sports, rehabilitation and medicine as well as in wellness and beauty centers. Elite athletes use Electric Muscle Stimulation in addition to their training in order to improve strength and speed.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING AN EMS SESSION?
In an initial session,
• We discuss your personal fitness goals.
• Familiarize you with the impulse and stimulus.
• Give you a trial of the EMS workout:
•This begins with a brief introduction, providing you with the appropriate EMS gear, followed by a 22 minute personalized training session.
• You will be guided through your workout by our friendly EMS trainer.
• Your regular session will take in total 30 minutes which includes changing in and out of the EMS gear.
- This makes EMS workouts flexible and ideal for lunch breaks, before, after or even in between work.
HOW DOES EMS FEEL?
The EMS machines are completely safe. MihaBodytec manufacture the machines, they are a German company and the market leaders – all of their EMS machines have gone through the most rigorous of safety checks and meet all German and EU guidelines for medical devices. The technology has been used for decades in hospitals as a safe, effective rehabilitation method and most major Olympic athletes now use EMS for their training.
HOW DO THE IMPULSES FEEL ON MY SKIN AND MUSCLES?
The electronic impulses are neither painful nor leave traces on the skin. Many people describe the impulse like the crawling of an ant. Depending on the intensity level, sometimes they are only perceived lightly, sometimes somewhat intensely.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF EMS?
EMS Training is an effective and efficient way to improve your fitness level, both aerobically and anaerobically, body composition, and overall well-being in far less time than traditional workouts. Only 1 to 2 sessions a week are enough to see results. Furthermore, EMS can be beneficial for a wide demographic, as it is a low impact activity therefore placing less stress on the joints, and allows customization to target specific muscle groups. It is important to note EMS can also be used for rehabilitation after injury.
• Recovery – increase blood flow and remove lactic acid
• Training – power, endurance, strength, hypertrophy
• Rehabilitation – promote recovery with customizable intensity
• Prevention – warm-up before exercise ?
- Appearance – muscle toning and improved body composition
CAN YOU DO EMS TRAINING IN A LONG TERM?
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS IF TRAINING WITH EMS ON LONG-TERM BASIS?
WHY IS EMS TRAINING MORE EFFECTIVE THAN CONVENTIONAL TRAINING?
HOW LONG DO THE SESSSIONS LAST?
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING ALONG TO THE EMS SESSION?
There is no need to bring anything! All our sessions include a special under suit you need to wear. You can train barefoot or wear socks.
EMS is most effective if you don’t wear underwear under the outfit we provide. If you would rather wear underwear then please ensure it is cotton, bras must not be underwired and bring a change of clothes, as you will be sweaty.
You can either train in bare feet or with trainers. Please bring your own trainers if that is your preference.
HOW OFTEN CAN I DO THE TRAINING?
HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE BEFORE YOU SEE RESULT WITH EMS TRAINING?
You should feel the results immediately as you will be working your muscles in a deeper and more intense way than you have experienced before. After 4 to 5 sessions most clients start to notice differences in their strength and posture and after 6 to 8 sessions the results should start to become visible – that is less than 3 hours of training in total!!
WHAT IS THE AGE LIMIT WITH EMS TRAINING?
WHO IS EMS FOR?
Gyms aren’t your scene, perhaps you’re shy, unsure what fitness programs to follow or how to use proper technique, and unable to weight light, but still want to stay in shape….
Sweat22 EMS Studios are small, stylish and take a maximum of 2 clients at a time. They do not feel like daunting commercial gyms and you have the personal attention of our Studio Manager who is there to ensure your experience is a pleasant and your session is tailored to your fitness needs. EMS is low impact and puts minimal strain on your ligaments and tendons, while putting the appropriate stress where it should be; on the muscle! In addition, it is effective if you can no longer lift weights (some EMS clients are over 80), have limited mobility or are recovering from injury – through to exhausting the most elite athletes!
IS THE ELECTRIC CURRENT DANGEROUS FOR MY NERVOUS SYSTEM?
No, there is no known danger of the electric current damaging the nervous system. The use of low frequency impulse is widely used in training and rehabilitation therapy, and EMS uses the natural principle of sending electrical impulses direct to the muscles.
DOES THE ELECTRIC CURRENT HAVE ANY SIDE EFFECTS?
No, according to official studies, there are absolutely no negative side effects for sport-healthy individuals. On the contrary, there are a lot of positive effects. Electro treatments are also a recognized part of classical techniques in physiotherapy since the 1950s.The low-frequency impulse exclusively activates the striated skeletal muscles. Organs and the heart are not reached.
SHOULD I AVOID ELECTRO MUSCLE SIMULATION TRAINING IF I HAVE CERTAIN HEALTH CONDITION?
Most people can use EMS training but if you have a certain health condition that prevents you from participating in conventional sport then you must get approval from your doctor. Unfortunately, we are not able to accept clients with the following:
- Heart Pacemaker or other electrical implant
- Severe circulatory disorder & arterial circulatory disorder
- Diabetes mellitus
- Abdominal wall or an inguinal hernia
- Tumor diseases
- Arteriosclerosis in advanced stadium
- Severe neurological illnesses (epilepsy, multiple sclerosis)
- Has an acute illness, such as fever, viral infection or acute inflammatory disease.
This list is not exhaustive and you should discuss any concerns with your personal trainer before any training commences.
ARE THERE ANY CONTRA-INDICATIONS?
Yes, Clients suffering from the following conditions would not be advised to use EMS:
It is possible the current could produce chemical changes in the blood leading to alteration in the clotting time. At present, there is no hard evidence to support this. However, any individual taking anticoagulants should consult with their primary care physician before using E.M.S treatments.
Do not use this device on patients who have a cardiac pacemaker, implanted defibrillator, or other implanted metallic or electronic device because this may cause electric shock, burns, electrical interference or death.
If someone has known or potential cardiac problems, they should consult with their primary caregiver or cardiologist before using Electrotherapy
The effect on bacteria is uncertain, so if your skin has a bacterial infection, avoid running the treatment on or near the area of infection.
The use of electrotherapy treatments is contraindicated in individuals with clinically diagnosed cancer and should never be run directly over the site of a known malignancy.
Electrostimulation should not be used over tumours or cancerous tissue, as the current produced may promote the spread of cancer cells to other parts of the body
Electrostimulation therapy should not be applied over the carotid sinuses on the lateral part of the neck as such use might cause a sudden increase in blood pressure or a drop in heart rate.
Unless being used specifically for wound care, Electrical stimulation should not be used over irritated or broken skin, since this can be uncomfortable for the patient.
Electrotherapy should not be attempted with patients who are either disoriented or cannot give coherent feedback regarding the intensity of stimulation. Electrostimulation is only for patients who can express discomfort reliably and verbally.
Treatment with Electrostimulation should be avoided near metal or over areas of the body with metal staples, implants or pins. The use of topical solutions containing metal ions should also be avoided under electrodes. Metal is an excellent conductor of electricity and stimulation over those areas could lead to injury or pain.
Electrode placement is contraindicated peripheral to the heart, since the signals might interfere with the heart’s electrical signals. Electrodes should not be placed in the thoracic area in patients with known heart disease.
Wild Iris Medical Education, Inc, a provider of continuing education courses for health care professionals, explains that electrical stimulation should not be used on patients in their first trimester of pregnancy. Fetuses are more susceptible to birth defects and abnormalities in these early weeks.
The laryngeal musculature over the throat should be avoided with Electrotherapy as the electrical current could cause the muscles to spasm, which can lead to difficulty breathing.
I HAVE IMPLANTS IN MY BODY, CAN I STILL USE EMS?
It is recommended to talk to your doctor before using EMS if you have implants in your body.
IS EMS SUITABLE FOR POST-NATAL TRAINING?
There are numerous studies that clearly indicate that EMS quickly and effectively trains the deep pelvic floor muscles. It is an elegant countermeasure to a tendency towards incontinence. The positive effects naturally apply to all of the connective tissue and skin structures that are stretched and overstretched during a pregnancy. IMPORTANT: Consult your gynecologist and do not begin training until four to six weeks after delivery. Training starts at a very low intensity, which also serves as lymph drainage. Depending on how the body reacts, the intensity is increased gradually over the course of multiple sessions.
HOW CAN EMS HELP ME POST-PREGNANCY?
EMS training is specifically tailored to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles, thus improving or eliminating the muscle weakness in that area as well incontinence issues. Furthermore, EMS is a gentle solution for your postnatal exercises to regain your pre-pregnancy shape. However, EMS cannot be used during pregnancy.
We offer post-natal training but you can start after 6 weeks.
There are numerous studies that clearly indicates that EMS quickly and effectively trains the deep pelvic floor muscles. It is an elegant countermeasure to a tendency towards incontinence. The positive effects naturally apply to all the connective tissues and skin structures that are stretched and overstretched during a pregnancy.
HOW MUCH TIME CAN I SAVE BY USING EMS TRAINING?
With EMS Training, you only need to work out twice per week to achieve comparable results to several hours in the gym. This means you can literally save yourself hours per week! The results will come even quicker if your workout twice per week.
IS IT SAFE AND HYGIENIC TO WEAR THE TRAINING VESTS THAT ARE USED ON OTHER CLIENTS?
Prior to the workout, we will give you a cotton suit, which must be worn with the electrode suit. These are clean and washed for each client. The electrodes on the main body suit work through the cotton and do not make direct contact with the skin. They are cleaned and replaced regularly, and covered with special anti-bacterial fabric for hygienic use. Our EMS equipment from MihaBody tech is totally safe and certified.
DOES EMS TRAINING HURT?
No. EMS training is no more strenuous than a conventional workout. The equipment uses low impulse frequency, the experience of receiving the impulses may take a little getting used to, but it is not painful in any way.
CAN I CONTINUE MY NORMAL FITNESS ROUTINE?
Absolutely. EMS is a wonderful, complimentary training method for all sports and should only improve your performance. However, EMS is a high intensity workout (HIT) so you shouldn’t do any other exercise the same day and don’t do another HIT workout for at least 24 hours after your EMS session.
Please speak to your Sweat22 EMS trainer for more advice on how to best combine EMS with other sports.
WHAT ARE THE CORE BENEFITS OF EMS FITNESS TRAINING?
Full-body EMS Fitness training helps you get your muscles toned, reduce fat and cellulite, and increase caloric expenditure. Circulation of the muscular and connective tissues will be enhanced which can lead to firmer and more toned skin as well.
CAN EMS FITNESS TRAINING HELP ME RECOVER FROM AN INJURY?
EMS Fitness training is ideal for people who want to recover from injuries quickly in a safe way. Clients can heal muscle or joint injuries with built-in rehabilitation and muscle re-education programs.
CAN I TRAIN WITH EMS AFTER BACK INJURY?
Yes, after a slipped disk event, exercising with EMS is recommended. The training helps you to strengthen the deeper layers of muscles, which helps to support the stability of the spine consequently relieving and stabilizing your back.
DOES EMS HELP ME WITH CELLULITE PROBLEMS?
YES, it does. All major muscles will be trained during the EMS workout. The outcome is muscle growth, reduction of body fat, boosting of the metabolism, improvement of the overall fitness and tightening of the connective tissue. All of the benefits result in a better and tighter skin as well as the reduction of cellulite.
IS EMS GOOD FOR WEIGTH LOSS?
Yes. During the first phase of training, you can expect to start shaping your body. During the second phase, the fat depots will be broken down resulting in substantial fat removal and weight loss. Due to the increased muscle activity during an EMS session, your body will also burn more calories. However, weight loss can only be achieved by a healthy nutrition plan combined with regular exercise. Therefore, EMS training is the perfect complement to a healthy nutritional plan for effective, long-term weight loss.
IF I STOP EMS TRAINING, WILL I GET OUT OF SHAPE?
To maintain your figure and stay fit you will need to stay active. One way to do that is through regular EMS training and to adopt an active lifestyle.
WHY ONLY TWICE A WEEK TRAINING?
SWEAT22 recommends sessions that are a maximum of 22 minutes, twice a week. In order to achieve the most effective results for muscular adaptation and physical functioning, your body needs time to rest and recover. Research shows that recovery and adaptation periods after whole-body EMS training sessions are significantly longer than for weight and resistance training. It is not beneficial to train more often to gain better results because EMS training is so effective, thus you only need one session per week.
WHY DO I NEED TO TAKE A BREAK BETWEEN WORKOUTS?
Because EMS training is highly strenuous, your body requires sufficient rest to effectively recover. You also need to maintain an optimal balance between training and recovery. If you train too often, you will compromise your body’s recovery, however if your training is not intense enough or you are not consistent, you will not reach your desired fitness goals.
Depending on your fitness level, a gap of up-to 48 hours between workouts is recommended for best results.
WHAT IMPROVEMENTS CAN I EXPECT?
- Maximum Strength
- Endurance Hypertrophy (muscle growth)
- Speed, responsiveness & agility
- Perceived physical well-being
- Balancing of muscular imbalances (e.g. reduction of back pain).
WHAT DOES SPORT SCIENCE SAY?
- EMS training has been used for decades in the field of sports medicine and rehabilitation. Over the last 10 years EMS training has widened its spectrum of application to include general fitness and sports performance. Therefore a wealth of research exists on EMS training amongst its different areas of application and has proven its scientific effectiveness. Some of the most significant research findings have shown positive training effects on muscle-mass (Kemmler & Von Stengel, 2013).
- Research from the German Sports University Cologne (Filipovic et al., 2012; Speicher et al., 2008) found significant improvements in speed and maximum strength after a period of EMS training.
- Research in the field of rehabilitation at the University of Bayreuth (Boeck-Behrens et al., 2002) has shown significant levels of pain relief in participants suffering from back pain.
- EMS training has further shown to be an effective training method for the elderly (Kemmler & Von Stengel, 2012) and for cardiologic patients, as research from Bad Oeynhausen has shown (Fritzsche et al., 2010).
Scientific studies by the German Sports University of Cologne (2008), Erlangen-Nuremberg (2009) and the Heart Clinic in Bad Oeynhausen (2010) have shown the effectiveness of EMS Training. Research by Bayreuth University in Germany reported the following results after a six-week training program with EMS:
85% people had improvements in their body shape.
● Visibly enhanced muscle definition and tone.
● 40% more intensive than traditional strength training with weights.
● 12% increase in overall maximum strength.
● 69% improvement in endurance and fitness levels.
SHOULD I HYDRATE BEFORE MY TRAINING SESSION?
Yes, it is advised to drink at least 0,5 L of water about half an hour before the training. Moreover, in our Sweat22studios we offer you a delicious drink with L-Carnitine, which will further enhance fat loss. In addition to a healthy and balanced diet, it is important to also consume 2-3 L of water per day.
CAN I EAT RIGHT BEFORE THE SWEAT22 EMS TRAINING?
To have adequate energy for the training session, it is recommended to consume a meal rich in carbohydrates about 2 hours before training. To avoid a stomachache, ensure your pre-workout meal is not too large. Lastly, you can also consider eating an energy bar right before the Sweat22 training.
WHO WILL ACCOMPANY ME DURING MY TRAINING?
Our qualified staff will help you complete the selected exercises and guide you to ensure you have correct form and technique. Our instructors will explain the benefits of each exercise. Of course, you will also receive nutritional advice with additional fee
WHAT DISTINGUISHES SWEAT22 FROM OTHER EMS PROVIDERS?
- The Sweat22 studios focus exclusively on EMS training. We believe so much in this fitness concept, that we do not promote anything else in between. In addition, we grant that every customer gets his or her own personal trainer – a very important aspect for the achievement of the training goals.
- In a Sweat22 studio, the trainer focuses 22 minutes exclusively only on you. Also, it’s worth mentioning, that the dosage of electrical impulses is individually adjusted as per your body type.
- Our EMS device is equipped with a special piece of technology, which minimizes the electrical load reaching your body, while maintaining the intensity of the stimulus to the muscle.
- Our most advanced suit allows for free movement, enabling you to comfortably perform a wider range of exercises than many other suits.
- Our especially designed electrodes have a large surface area and excellent conductivity, meaning they distribute the impulses evenly across the entire muscle surface area while reducing stress on the joints and ligaments.
CAN I TRAIN TOGETHER WITH A FRIEND?
Yes! We have more than one EMS machines so we are able to train two people at once. Twice the fun and cheaper sessions. Get in touch with us for details.
WHAT SHOULD I CONSIDER BEFORE AND AFTER AN EMS TRAINING?
Before and after the workout, be sure to drink plenty of water. The best option after the workout is still water, herbal tea or a protein shake. We don’t recommend working out on an empty stomach. An easily digestible meal is ideal.
WILL EMS TRAINING HELP MY BUTTOCKS & THIGHS?
Yes. Undeveloped hips and glutes can be dramatically improved with E.M.S. training, as the sessions will target these major muscle groups, along with others
I AM A BODYBUILDER, WILL EMS HELP ME?
Yes. E.M.S. is a valuable tool in body building training, and can complement your current weight lifting routine.
EMS is particularly beneficial for:
Lose Inches Tighten Buttocks
Tone and reduce belly fat
Reshape Obliques, strengthen low back erector muscles
Increase circulation – GREAT for back pain and muscle tension
Builds Muscle GREAT for Body Builders and Athletes.
EMS FOR BODY SHAPING
Cellulite: Anti-cellulite treatment needs activity and stimulation. Instead of only treating the surface, EMS activates the muscular and connective tissue in its entirety, which leads to better circulation and the reduction of superfluous fat cells. The result is a firmer, tighter body!
Fat & padding: EMS training is an optimal solution for lasting weight-loss and fat removal. Healthy eating alone is not enough – you need effective, regular training to reduce fat in problem areas. With EMS training you can focus on specific problem areas, like your stomach, waist, hips, thighs or even your bingo wings!
Improved circulation: EMS training enhances circulation through all connective tissue which helps improve skin tone; the removal of metabolic byproducts and toxins in the lymph glands. It also helps stimulate internal organs and peristalsis. Wellbeing made easy!
Certified professional Personal Trainers…
All SWEAT22 EMS trainers are experienced and qualified personal trainers, health professionals or sport scientists and they have received SWEAT22 EMS training from their in-house training programs, in addition they have undergone extensive, specialist EMS training, which gives them an official EMS training qualification.